- 29 Fogo Island Inn's suites feature floor-to-ceiling windows opening onto the wildest and most powerful ocean on the planet.
- 07 Seasons on Fogo Island - warm summers, snowy winters, a spectacular ice season, hopeful spring, trap berth season, the world’s best berry picking in the early fall, and a stormy and emotional late autumn.
- 100 The Inn is a 100% social business: all operating surpluses are reinvested in the community of Fogo Island through the projects and programs of Shorefast Foundation.
Designed by Newfoundland-born architect Todd Saunders, Fogo Island Inn has an international reputation for exceptional, place-specific hospitality and bold, thoughtful, creative contemporary design. The Inn, perched on stilts and hugging the North Atlantic coastline, showcases its locale and is a radical, modern expression of traditional Newfoundland outport design and décor.
Spend four days on Fogo hiking, biking, driving and discovering the Saunders-designed artist’s spaces: the Squish, the Long, the Bridge and the Tower Studios. Explore the Irish roots of the town of Tilting, find distinctive treasures at the Fogo Island Shop and the Wind and Waves Artisan’s Guild in Joe Batt’s Arm and learn how to use a fascinating, centuries-old fishing stage. Make a friend or two along the way, then join them in the evening for a sip, a song and a laugh at a nearby shed party.
- Enjoy a signature experience with a local guide/facilitator. Choices range from natural encounters, to marine adventures, to art workshops. You could even learn to salt fish!
- Experience one of Newfoundland’s last thriving outports.
- Immerse yourself in the culture of maritime Newfoundland.
- Taste freshly caught fish and other local cuisine.
- See rare, historical National Film Board footage of outport life in the Fogo Island Inn cinema.
- Hike rugged trails for spectacular ocean views.
- Cycle quiet roadways and meet the people of Fogo.
The weather on Fogo Island is greatly influenced by the ocean that surrounds it. From October until mid-May, temperatures can be cool – as low as -10˚C or colder – and snowfalls can be substantial. Spring weather arrives in mid-May with temperatures ranging from 8-12˚C while June through September brings warmer weather, with highs of 15-19˚C.
- The Fogo Island Inn welcomes guests year round.
- The Inn offers equipment for skating and snowshoeing during winter months and bicycles during spring, summer and fall.
- Located near the photogenic town of Joe Batt’s Arm, home to the famed “witch’s foot” stone.
The Fogo Island Inn offers experiences that vary as dramatically as the weather on this rugged island. When the snow is deep, guest can enjoy snowshoeing and skating on the inner harbour, but when the sun warms the land, hiking or punting is the best way to explore. No matter what the time of year, Fogo Island's greatest asset is her people, always eager to welcome visitors and share their island culture.
Airport transfers available from Gander Airport. Rental cars from several major car rental companies are available. Fogo Island is accessible by a ferry service. Dress appropriate for prevailing weather conditions.
- You can choose to drive yourself or be picked up at the airport in Gander by Inn staff. If you come by car, go to the Fogo Island ferry dock at Farewell.
- Enjoy a scenic ferry ride to the island.
- Drive the short distance from the ferry dock to the Fogo Island Inn.
- To avoid surrounding the Inn with vehicles, you’ll be asked to leave your car in the lower lot and be taken to the Inn by shuttle.
- If you prefer, there are small charter planes from Newfoundland to Fogo Island.
- On the island, you can hike, bike, drive or stroll.