- 08°C below zero - temperature for ice wine grape harvesting
- 1984 first ice wine bottled by Inniskillin
- 90 minutes drive from Toronto
Explore the heart of Ontario’s wine country and savour the secrets of Icewine-making. Learn how grapes are left on netted vines well into the frigid winter months to concentrate and intensify their flavour, ultimately yielding a juice of exquisite, intensely condensed sweetness. Discover how those grapes are harvested only after the temperature drops below minus eight degrees Celsius for a sustained period, then visit the Underground Cellar to view racks of historic Icewines, dating back to 1984, aging to perfection. Finish your Icewine tour with a private, comparative tasting of rich, sumptuous icewine.
- Enjoy a welcoming glass of sparkling Vidal Icewine as you begin your Extreme Canadian Wine Experience.
- Tour Inniskillin's winery, learning the master vintners' secrets to icewine making.
- See rare, historic bottles of icewine aging in racks in the Underground Cellar.
- Enjoy a private comparative tasting of Riesling Icewine, Oak Aged Vidal Icewine, and Red Cabernet Franc Icewine.
- Learn why drinking from a Riedel Vinum Extreme Icewine glass enhances your tasting experience.
- Cleanse your palate with an unlikely but delectable combination of aged parmesan cheese and chocolate.
- The Niagara Peninsula is located in one of Ontario's most southerly areas and enjoys a climate moderated by the proximity of two Great Lakes. In spring and fall, the days are mild but summer brings warm, even hot weather. Winter temperatures tend to be less severe than other regions of the province but lake effect snow isn't unusual.
- Discover local weather information. Research local weather patterns at Environment Canada's Canadian Climate Website.
- Inniskillin Winery Hours of Operation.
- Open year round. Closed major holidays.
- Winery shop onsite.
- Allow several hours to enjoy the tour and tasting.
- Wear comfortable walking/hiking footwear if you plan to tour the vineyards.
- The Underground Cellar is cool, even in summer, so a sweater or light jacket is a good idea.