- 15 minute flight to terrain
- 2,000 square kilometers of terrain
- 10 skiers and 2 guides
A clear day spent upon some of Canada's driest and lightest snow across 2,000 square kilometers of terrain in the legendary Purcell Mountains is as good as skiing gets. Yet resort skiers often assume that only daredevils and experts obtain the privilege to experience backcountry bliss. Founder Rudi Gertsch established Purcell Heli-Skiing in 1974 to dispel this myth, creating the ""Classic 3 Run"" program to introduce the confident intermediate skier as well as seasoned and repeat clients to the charms of the Interior Range.
Skiing and snowboarding here is about more than making laps. Clients enjoy a luncheon on the snow and time to explore their surroundings. The group’s two guides provide an extensive orientation to the backcountry experience and assess the aptitude and attitude of every individual participant to create a customized, safe program. The day can be extended for two more runs if, after three lengthy runs through natural glades and varied terrain, several members of the group make the request.
• Access to more than 2,000 square kilometers of some of Canada's most consistent snow.
• 5-to-1 client to guide ratio.
• 40-year old family operation with excellent safety record.
• 15 minutes from Golden to Purcell Mountain terrain.
• Aprés ski food and drink in Golden-based day lodge.
Winter weather in Golden and in the Purcell Mountains can be variable.
Discover local weather information.
Research local weather patterns at Environment Canada’s Canadian Climate Normals Website.
• 2013-2014 Packages [http://purcellheliskiing.com/packages/]
• Open seasonally
• Book with operator
• Group, exclusive and family booking options available
• December through March.
• Powder skis provided.
• No snowboards provided.
• Lodge does not offer accommodations.
• Additional runs available á la carte.
• Après ski snacks and beverages provided.
• Located in Golden, B.C., 3 hours from Calgary.
• Shuttle to heliport provided.
• Golden is 4.5 hours from Kelowna airport.
• Golden is 7.5 hours from Vancouver.