- 700,000-hectare wilderness preserve
- 04-kg rainbow trout
- 40 years of family-run experience
Fly into the heart of a vast, road-less wilderness preserve—home to mountain goats, caribou, grizzly bears, rainbow trout and a family-run eco-lodge. Explore boundless nature via interpretive hikes, discovering fields of wildflowers and imposing mountain peaks. Wade into a diamond-clear mountain stream to fly fish for hard-fighting rainbow trout, bull trout and Arctic grayling. Hop on a hardy horse and follow a century-old trail, perhaps spotting grizzly bears in the distance as your guide illuminates the vibrant ecosystem. Dine on gourmet dinners at a cosy cabin, reminiscing on the day with friends old and new.
This is Spatsizi Wilderness Vacations, a unique lodge operation tucked deep within one of British Columbia’s most spectacular natural areas. Immerse in the wild; feel the strike of a feisty trout; appreciate the stewardship of the area—experience Spatsizi Plateau Wilderness Provincial Park’s world-class fly-in fishing and wildlife wonders.
- Explore vast Spatsizi Plateau Wilderness Provincial Park, using a well-appointed lodge as your home-base.
- Angle for trophy rainbow trout alongside an experienced guide; enjoy gourmet shore-lunches of freshly-caught fish.
- Hike through the plateaus, meadows, river valleys and alpine environments alongside a renowned naturalist; spot wolves, grizzly bears, caribou, mountain goats and moose from a safe and respectful distance.
- Canoe along a meandering mountain river, marveling at the abundant flora and fauna of the area; discover the rich history of the land, from the ancient culture of the Tahltan First Nations to the early European settlers.
- Tour the mountains via horseback along 19th century game trails; smell the lush spruce forests and brilliant wildflowers.
- Relax in front of a crackling fireplace at the cosy lodge; dine on wild salmon and organic vegetables, all paired with award-winning BC wines and prepared by an accomplished chef.
- Learn about the family that has operated this lodge for 40 years and their ongoing mission to preserve the area’s natural wonders; develop a lasting connection to the land.
- Trips are offered only in July and August.
- Specific departure dates apply.
- The lodge is located in a remote wilderness environment with limited outside communications.
- Guests are responsible for apparel and fishing equipment.
- Limited fishing supplies are available at the lodge; fishing outfitters are located in the town of Smithers.
- A British Columbia Freshwater Fishing licence is required for all anglers.
- Spatsizi Wilderness Vacations also offers youth/family oriented trips.
- Trip package includes return airfare from Smithers, BC; the lodge is located 300km from Smithers.
- Smithers is a two-hour flight from the Vancouver International Airport (YVR).
- Smithers can be accessed via all-season Highway 16, a nine-hour drive northwest of British Columbia’s Okanagan Valley.
- Bus transportation is available to Smithers.