US Visitors to Canada

When travelling to Canada, you always need to carry proper travel documents and identification for yourself and any children travelling with you. For all modes of entry, we recommend you carry a valid passport.

All visitors arriving from or transiting through the United States are encouraged to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Web site for information concerning the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, and the requirements to enter or return to the United States.

To learn more about Canadian customs regulations, visit the Canada Border Services Agency website.


Visit the U.S. Department of State website frequently for international travel updates.

For detailed information about obtaining or renewing your US passport, visit the U.S. Department of State, National Passport Information Center website, or access US passport application services from the United States Postal Service.

The NEXUS program is open to citizens or permanent residents of Canada and the United States, and citizens of a country other than Canada and the United States who plan to temporarily reside lawfully in Canada or the United States. For information on how to apply, visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website.

For detailed information on entry requirements, including medical exams, working or studying in Canada, and what you are permitted to bring into Canada, visit the Government of Canada's Requirements to Enter Canada page.

International Visitors to Canada

International visitors to Canada (not US citizens or US permanent residents) must carry a valid passport and, if required, a visa.  Visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website for a complete listing of countries whose citizens require visas to enter Canada.

All other visitors should contact their Canadian consulate or embassy to learn what documents are required. Contact information for Canadian embassies around the world can be found at the the Global Affairs Canada website.

To learn more about Canadian customs regulations, visit the Canada Border Services Agency website.

Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa.Read about the changes and how they may affect you.

If you travel before March 15, 2016, you do not need an eTA but you can still apply for one. For now, make sure you travel with acceptable travel documents and identification, such as a valid passport.


For more information visit:

U.S. Department of State

Countries Requiring Visas

Canadian Visa Offices

Canada International Website

Canada Border Services Agency

Immigration to Canada